FHA Beach Spring Clean Up Day
May 15 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
FHA Spring Clean Up Day – This Saturday, May 15th
We are reaching out to volunteers for help with spring clean-up and general preparation of our communal areas for the season. May 15th is the scheduled date for this effort, with May 22nd as the rain date. The weather forecast suggests some light rain the morning of May 15th, but hopefully we can get some of the tasks accomplished. Projects/tasks are listed below, please let Roger, FHA Maintenance Director, know any specific things you can help with.
- Raking leaves and general debris clearing from the beach and grass areas. Just a little left to do after the great work done by the early-spring volunteers. Leaf rakes, (possibly) leaf blower and wheelbarrows are needed.
- Volleyball net installation at Ripple and Lollipop beaches plus basketball net installation at Ripple. 6ft or 8ft step ladder needed.
- Horseshoe pit leveling, raking and general prep at Ripple Beach. Shovels and steel rakes needed.
- Finish spreading crushed stone at Lollipop Boat Ramp. What was done last Fall made a huge improvement! It has settled in enough now, so the remainder can be used to level it out. Rounded shovels, wheelbarrow, and steel rake needed.
- Move gravel back in to parking lot at Ripple Beach, where one errant snowplow pushed it over the concrete curb (again). Shovels are probably all that is needed.
- Check for safety issues with swings, climbing, and other fun stuff at both beaches. Lube pivot points/shackles at upper swing chain mount points. New chain is in the plan, but not yet purchased. Tall step ladder or small/medium extending ladder needed.
- Construct kayak/canoe racks and distribute to Lollipop Beach, Winding Cove Beach, and Ripple Beach areas. (Other locations are pending, but not forgotten!) Roger will provide a corded miter saw and circular saw, drills (corded and cordless), and a driver. At least one other miter saw and circular saw, and a few drills/drivers will be especially useful.
- We do not need too many power tools. Since rain and power tools are not a good mix, this is one project we may postpone to May 22nd. Let Roger know if you plan on bringing any tools!
If you cannot help this Saturday, let Roger know if you can help with these near-future projects:
- We will need to stain new picnic tables and distribute them to Lollipop Beach, Winding Cove Beach, and Ripple Beach. Tables are on order, but delivery is probably not before May 15th, so Roger will schedule a work session soon after delivery. Rollers, roller trays, and brushes will be needed; FHA has a few, a few extras are always useful.
- One of our members has offered to do some rototilling at the Lollipop Beach area, specifically to loosen up packed areas on the beach and the volleyball court. We will probably need some helpers when this gets scheduled.
- Another project this year is to rebuild firepits at Lollipop Beach and Ripple Beach plus add a second firepit at Lollipop. One of our members volunteered specifically to help with this project, but we will need more helpers, especially someone with some experience with stonework who knows how best to tackle it and what materials we need.
As always, thank you for volunteering to help our neighborhood!
– Roger Allen